The lawyers of Howard C. Cohen & Associates are experienced in representing clients in alleged violations of administrative law, which can have civil and criminal consequences. We represent businesses and individuals in alleged regulatory violations. Some of these violations can lead to fines and incarceration, suspension or revocation of a license, and, in some cases, civil lawsuits or criminal prosecution.
Our practice in this area of law includes cases involving:
- Liquor License Act of Ontario: The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario will join with police to prosecute liquor licensees for offences such as failing to close at proper time. We are experienced in defending clients whose livelihoods depend on their liquor licenses.
- Securities Act: We defend clients accused of fraud, insider trading, and cases involving corporate law and corporate finance. We have achieved positive outcomes for clients in these and other Securities Act cases involving complex fact situations.
- Income Tax Act: We have successfully represented individuals prosecuted in Federal Court over complex Income Tax Act violations.
- Competition Act: We defended clients in one of the largest Competition Act cases in Canada — the first one in which prosecutors sought jail sentences for false advertising. Howard C. Cohen served as defence counsel in the Benlolo case, the first Competition Act case to result in a jury trial.
- Horse Racing: Howard C. Cohen is experienced in defending people against applications by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission to discipline and/or revoke the licenses of thoroughbred and standard bred horse owners and trainers and related gambling and operations and doping schemes.
- Highway Traffic Act: Including regulatory offences such as careless driving and failing to remain at scene of the accident. These are often referred to as quasi-criminal cases because they can result in incarceration.
- Hunting regulations: Including deer-jacking, hunting on private property, improper storage of hunting rifles and other hunting licence infractions.
Regulatory offences are complex and can lead to issues in other areas of law. Our lawyers can protect your rights and defend your best interests in the regulatory issue as well as any related criminal or civil prosecutions. To discuss your case, please contact the lawyers of Howard C. Cohen & Associates for an initial consultation.
- White Collar Crime Cases
- Fraud And Theft
- Licensing And Discipline
- Representation of Police Officers
- Sexual Assault Offences
- Impaired Driving By Alcohol
- Impaired Driving By Drugs
- Charter Of Rights Civil Liberties
- Drug Crimes
- Property Forfeiture
- Assault Cases
- Domestic Assault
- Firearms And Weapons Offences
- Unreliability Of Eyewitness Identification
- Regulatory Offences
- Immigration Act Charges
- Criminal Charges And Deportation
- Appealing Removal Orders In Ontario
- Legalization of Recreational Cannabis
- Record Suspension for Previous Marijuana Convictions